Wednesday, August 3, 2016

GHOSTBUSTERS  2.1***
  I'll start out with what I liked about the movie. The studio obviously had a lot of faith in this movie because it had a $100 million budget and it shows. The CGI and the visual effects were pretty top notch. The ghosts and the paranormal look great but how they are used and the sheer number detracts from the ghostbusters themselves. Although I though some of the acting was weak, I thought there were some bright spots too. Chris Hemsworth stole the movie, he actually has some pretty good comic timing and maybe this movie will lead to some more comedic roles  I also thought Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones were funny in certain scenes. They weren't consistent but they each had their moments.

The biggest reason that I didn't like this movie was that I just didn't find it funny and that’s because of the awful script.. the writing  missed the point and worst of all was not funny. Most of the jokes fell really flat. The original movie was a classic not only because of how many good jokes it had  but also because the main cast had some really great chemistry.  I just didn't feel that here .Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy worked the best together (they've worked together before) but again, it just paled in comparison to the original.

Getting to the acting, it was largely mixed. I was shocked at how unfunny I found Kristen Wiig to be here. She's been really great in other stuff but she's super awkward here.  McCarthy was pretty restrained, which was a good thing but again, I didn't find her funny. She usually works really well Director Paul Feig but it didn't click here. McKinnon and Jones were intermittently good, they definitely were throwing the most into it.  I appreciate that. Hemsworth was solid but the villain Neil Casey was really annoying both as a character and the actor. Some of the cameos were good (I liked Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts) but others seemed forced. It's good that the Ghostbusters reboot had the support of the original cast but the cameos seemed more like fan service than actually serving the movie.

So overall, I think it's an underwhelming paint-by-numbers mediocrity that will more than likely be largely forgotten about as soon as it is out of theatres, regardless of how much money it does or doesn't make.. Neither terrible enough to create too much of a post release backlash, nor good enough to do a very good job of actually providing much in the way of actual entertainment…… mostly I just found it rather flat, terribly uninspired, and exceedingly dull. 



Clark

         

No comments:

Post a Comment