Sunday, May 26, 2019


    BRIGHTBURN  1.5 ***

  As a horror film it is NOT a bright burn… at its best it may be a slow burn…for me it was a no burn !!!

   The premise of this film is not one we have seen before in the "superhero" genre. What would the world do if a super-powered life form came to Earth and realized that we were all just insects to it? That the world needs to be destroyed bit by bit? It starts out very "Clark Kent" like with the couple who have no children happening upon a child fallen from the shy in a weird space ship kind of thing. The parents see this as a blessing. As if the universe heard their cries for a child and answered them. Soon though, this Smallville scene takes a turn towards absolute terror. This "child" isn't what he seems to be. He isn't a boy, or a human. He's something altogether different. An evil non-destructible, non-feeling alien  in an innocent teenage boys body.

It wasn't good. I had somewhat high hopes, considering the Gunns being involved in this film. I either expected it to be slow, dark and just terrifying, or a brutal, gory, fun movie. It was neither. The characters were written dumb, the scares were just.. scares (almost all being jump scares), plain and simple. You know, the usual cheap stuff. Loud noises, big bad wolf appearing behind the characters, blablabla. There were more in the audience laughing than screaming. And the gore was basically non-existent, so there's that. I love a good horror, I love being truly scared, I love when I can't help myself and just feel the need to cover my eyes. This movie had no effect on me whatsoever. And it's not a fun turn-off-your-brain joyride, it isn't fun at all. It's just cheap. In some reviews people said they liked it, so, good for them. But if you expect a good horror. It is not that.

Rated R for horror violence/bloody images, and language.

No comments:

Post a Comment